Tuesday, 13 January 2009

Here comes the Bride(maid)

I am so excited.

Anna has been asked to be a bridesmaid at my brother's wedding in July.

When Carolyne and Steve asked us, I immediately said 'yes' while James immediately put his head in his hands. Apparently, he envisages the next 7 months being one full of me displaying excitement, anxious energy and downright panicking (so nothing new there then!). James' fears could also be compounded by the fact that I have been asked to do the 'Best man' speech. The actual best man is rather shy and would feel uncomfortable doing it so they thought that I may do it on his behalf! I was only asked last weekend and I already have a list of witty one-liners that have then all been crossed out for fear of offending somebody. I had already agreed before I then found out that it would be 130 guests that I was addressing. '130 is nothing. You have spoken in front of 300 children in school assemblies with no trouble at all' I was helpfully told. Well yes, but children have much shorter memories than adults. (It will probably end up with 'Ladies and Gentlemen, please raise our glasses for the bride and Groom'. The end)

I am much more excited about Anna being bridesmaid. However, my mind then gets cast back to my first time as a Bridesmaid. Oh dear! It is fair to say that I was the worlds worst bridesmaid that has ever been seen. I was 3 (so a very similar age to what Anna will be when she is bridesmaid) and I was meant to be the cute thing that everyone went 'arhhh' at, when they saw me. Instead, I was the one who is scowling on all of my Uncle George and Auntie Val's wedding photos. In every photo that I am in, I am also accompanied by my father who I refused to let go for the entire day. The obligatory bridesmaid photo has the bride (Auntie Val), the 2 other bridesmaid and me looking like I have just sucked a lemon with my poor dad stuck at the end looking like a right lemon, holding my bouquet of flowers because I refused to. Apparently I refused to walk any further down the aisle once I had got half way as well! I happened to bump into Val's mum at their eldest daughter's wedding only last year. She took one look at me and said 'Oh yes, you were the awful bridesmaid'. I don't think she has forgiven me yet!!!

However, this is Anna we are talking about. Thinking back to when I was 3, I was painfully shy, quiet, introvert and nervous. None of these words could describe Anna. In fact, knowing that she has 130 people all looking at her as she walks down the aisle is probably Anna's idea of paradise. Anna is also obsessed with princesses at the moment. Each night, after getting out of the bath, we have to wrap the huge towel around her like a cloak before she then curtsey's in front of us and we then have to bow/curtsy back and say 'Hello Princess Anna'. To be dressed up in a bridesmaid outfit will probably make it seem even more paradise-like to Anna!

I just pray that it is not going to be the case of 'mother like daughter'. Although Anna will probably think it is paradise, it is also important to remember that this is Carolyne's special day. I can fully see Anna throwing a diva fit and deciding that it is all too much and demanding to retire to her dressing room, just as the bridal march begins and even if we do actually manage to get her down the aisle, it is very likely that we will still be in the midst of the miserable potty training. If current trends are anything to go by, she will be probably shout "Mummy, I need a Wee Wee. Get the potty" just as the music ends and everyone is seated. She shouts that particular phrase a lot at the moment but, unfortunately, when the royal throne is delivered to her, she then shouts 'No potty for me' and runs off. That will make a fun start to the marriage ceremony.

I have already informed James that in the week leading up to the wedding, we will have to hire a church and practice walking up and down the aisle. Otherwise, Anna will decide to run or barge past Carolyne so she can be at the front! James suggested that we tie IgglePiggle to the back of Carolyne's dress so that Anna can watch him as she walks up to the aisle. I'm not sure IgglePiggle would make an attractive addition to the wedding dress.... but I haven't ruled it out yet!

No comments: