Friday, 14 November 2008

Fancy Fairy

Anna attended her first ever Fancy Dress party this week.

The party was held at our music class, in aid of Children in Need (which is always my alarm bell to alert me to the fact that Anna's birthday is not far away!! As if I needed reminding!). You may remember that last year's fundraising party was a Pyjama theme where Freya's mum and I were the only adults to dress up despite the invitation stating all adults should take part in the silliness, as well as the children!)

Following on from the magic wand which Anna has not been able to put down since the Fireworks part on Saturday, it was very apt that Anna went to the party dressed as a fairy so off we plodded to the shops to find a fairy dress costume.

There were lots to choose from and some were actually very pretty with little diamonds (fake obviously... my daughter may be spoilt but NOT that spoilt!) sewn into the lace overlay and silk material. Of course, Anna didn't want the pretty little dresses. No, Anna decided that she wanted the one that looked rather over the top and a tad gaudy!!!

Despite my reservations however, she did actually look gorgeous in it and her fairy wings looked very nice too. James had suggested (for reasons that will become apparent in a minute) that I didn't actually put the fairy wings on her until we got to the party but in my enthusiasm, I forgot and, whilst preparing breakfast, Anna was getting very over-excited running around the house in full fairy dress complete with wings. She then got rather frustrated and she kept shouting 'FLY, FLY' and pulling at her wings so I had to explain that these wings were not real and she just had to pretend to be a fairy who could fly. Anna looked at me as though I was stupid and continued to run around the house and getting rather annoyed at her wonky wings (after pulling them too hard!!).

It was rather a big challenge when trying to sit Anna down for breakfast as she insisted that her fairy wings must be kept on. Fortunately, the harness was big enough that I could get round the problem. Unfortunately, the car seat proved too big a challenge and, despite Anna's insistence (shouting and losing patience) that she had to wear her fairy wings in the car, there was no way that she would have fitted in the car seat as the wings were wider than the actual seat itself. I then had to have a long discussion with Anna about the fact that fairies sometimes need a rest and travel by car so they don't have to fly and therefore she wouldn't need her wings. I'm not sure that she understood what I was saying but she got so bored with my explanation that she just gave up getting agitated at her lack of wings and cuddled her cube instead.

When arriving at the party, I clearly wasn't the only one to have trouble. Libby's mum also looked rather frazzled after struggling to get Libby in the car seat, who had a massive hoop under her dress in order to get the skirt to look floaty and princess-like. When her mum had tried to persuade Libby to take the hoop out, Libby had said 'I'm Princess Jasmine and Princess Jasmine wouldn't go to a party without her dress looking right.' (Libby is 2 and a half, going on 22 and a half!).

The party went well although we did have hysterics when the parachute emerged and then a few tears when we played 'Pass the Parcel' because Anna couldn't understand why everyone was getting to open the parcel except her (although she calmed down brilliantly when I explained, which I was really proud of). I was also really pleased when, after being offered some chocolate, Anna chose not to have it and asked for some grapes instead!! I am fully expecting that to be the first and last time that Anna ever turns treats down (once she realises what chocolate is, which she doesn't yet so we may still be winning that one for a while!).

So Fairy Anna returned home looking a little tired and, as soon as we got in, threw her wand to one side and headed for her toy teapot and a cuppa! There is only so much fairy business that you can take in one day!

No comments: