Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Anna in Wonderland

I am starting to feel like Alice did when she fell down that rabbit hole. Not only am I still trying to recover from the Mad Hatters Tea Party that was held on Sunday (OK, maybe there were no hatters but it was a birthday tea party and definitely mad!). I also feel like I have swallowed some of that magic lotion that Alice drank, all thanks to the entire stock of Early Learning Centre being given to Anna by various friends and family, all of whom are too kind for words (a massive 'thank you' to all of you).

So why do I feel that I have had some of that magic lotion? Let me explain.

Our house feels like it has shrunk and is now tiny. Monday afternoon actually saw me sit down and just stare at the pile of toys in our living room, not knowing where to start! Our living room felt like it was the smallest room in the world when I looked at all of the presents that were now filling it. At one point (due to being so overwhelmed that my tiny brain couldn't cope anymore!), I literally felt as though I was going to drown in a pile of toys as I felt so tiny compared to this huge pile of generosity.

Anna didn't help! Every time that I attempted to move some toys to her playroom, she would be going in the opposite direction carrying a pile of toys back to the living room!

Thankfully, once I had organised toys into those that were destined for the Wendy house and those that were for indoor use, I did start to think logically and actually manage to organise myself.

The party was a great success! I base my success criteria on how much Anna loved it and she really did love every second. Her smile was a permanent fixture. She was the centre of attention all day, was dressed in her favourite outfit (her Fairy dress which she insisted on, despite me buying a posh party frock!) and most importantly, she got to see lots and lots of people that she loves, all in one day and at her house! She was in paradise. To make matters even better, her Mummy even let her have some of her birthday cake that her Grandma Lynn so kindly made. Yet again, it was fantastic - a Upsy Daisy cake, which also perfectly matched the Night Garden table cloth, plates, cups, banners and balloons.

Unfortunately for me, because I had let her have one tiny piece of cake, everyone was so shocked at my lull in cake security that, apparently, all family members then kept sneaking her a piece of birthday cake when I left the room. I blame them all for Anna's obsession with cake now. For example, today I served a tasty Butternut Squash risotto for lunch and Anna said 'No... cake please'. This has happened every single lunchtime this week. She then makes me feel really guilty when I politely say 'no' and she says 'cake... yummy, nice, lovely cake'. (If Grandma Lynn ever needs someone to provide a voiceover advertising her cakes, Anna is perfect for the job!)

I am overwhelmed by every one's kindness and generosity towards Anna! She is a very lucky girl, not only to be given so many wonderful things but also so lucky to be surrounded by so many lovely people who obviously love her so much. The whole idea for her party was that it would be day where Anna could see and be around all the people that she loves and it certainly worked.

Anna adored every second and now, each morning when she wakes up, says 'Party please Mummy' before singing 'Happy Birthday to you' several times! It is a big deal when a 2 year old (only just!) is still talking about her party a whole week later than the event itself!

A huge thank you to all of you who made Anna's birthday so special. Anna sends you lots and lots of love, hugs and kisses.

No comments: