Tuesday, 18 March 2008

A Lifetime of Sunshine

It is a sad time for us all at the moment. Anna's Great-Grandad Tom has passed away.

I have been sat staring at the computer screen for 20 minutes and, even now, I can't seem to find the words to write what I want to say.

Being 92 years old was a remarkable achievement but it still feels like it wasn't long enough for someone as lovely as Grandad Tom. To James, he was invincible. This was the man who was born when TV hadn't even been invented yet but who started doing a computer course at college in his mid-eighties, just so he could keep up with latest trends! Even more amazing when you consider that he would walk a mile to get to college in the first place.

There are some wonderful memories. James often recalls times when he and Matthew were little and would go on a caravan holiday with his Grandad to Fleetwood. Our more recent memories include shouting out the punchline to all of Matthews jokes when he was best man at our wedding (no one minded... except maybe Matthew!!) and no family occasion seemed quite right without a few of Grandad Tom's legendary jokes (which sometimes left us all feeling a little confused!). His 90th birthday party was also memorable, especially when the big finale came with Grandad Tom stood right in the middle of a huge circle of family, performing high kicks (high for a 90 year old) to 'New York New York'. It was also telling that all of his family was there, from the youngest to oldest, because it was a party for Grandad Tom.

I also remember him for being a true gentleman. The very first time that I met James' dad and Lynn was when Grandad Tom was with them. I was rather too quiet and shy but Grandad Tom jokingly whispered to me 'They don't give you a chance to speak because they don't shut up for a minute do they' I smiled to which he said 'They take a bit of getting used to but I can tell that you will be fine'!!! He knew exactly what to say and immediately put me at ease and made me relax a little more. I also remember there was one conversation which I couldn't join in easily (possibly about fellow family members that I hadn't met yet). I didn't mind at all but Grandad Tom said 'Right, I want a conversation that Louise and I can join in now'. He always made sure everyone felt included and happy. I think my favourite memory was Anna's first birthday party, which was also the last time that we saw him. It was time to go but before he left, he felt it was only right that he make a speech thanking us for a lovely party and wishing Anna 'a lifetime of sunshine, as bright as the sunshine that she gives to everyone' (which was also what he had wrote in his birthday card to her, which is safely kept in her 'Memory Treasure Box'). It all sounded rather twee at the time but, looking back, it was just a wonderfully thoughtful thing to say.

Being 92 years old was certainly a remarkable achievement but it feels like it wasn't long enough because Anna never got to realise for herself how wonderful her Great Grandad Tom was. She would have loved him a lot, as much as everyone who was lucky enough to know him did. However, I am just thankful that there are a wealth of wonderful memories that we all have of him, which we will be able to share with Anna so that she too will know what a very special Great-Grandad she had.

1 comment:

Nic said...

I am so sorry, I send all of you all my love.

N xx