
So the Festive season is well and truly over for another year. After eating more chocolate than most people eat in a year, putting on 5 million stone in weight and wondering where all of the toys will go (I may have finally found a solution to that problem this year. It is rather an expensive and stressful solution though, seeing as though it requires moving house in 2 days!!! More about that at a later date!), I have found the time to sit down and write this blog.
So, thinking back to what already seems like a year ago, what were the highlights of Christmas 2009 (in no particular order)???
- The look on Anna's face when she realised that all this Father Christmas stuff was actually real! Instead of just being some story that the adults harp on about for the entire month of December, it is actually true and Father Christmas does actually come down your chimney, eat a mince pie and drink a glass of milk and leave you a Doll's house. Anna woke up on Christmas morning and a very excited Mummy and Daddy asked her whether she thought Father Christmas has been and left any presents. Anna looked at us both and said 'Yes, I think so. Let's go back to bed now' before she climbed up into our bed, presented a story book and asked me to read it. 'Don't you want to go and see if Father Christmas has come'? I asked. 'Story first' replied Anna. I think Anna genuinely thought that meeting Father Christmas and writing letters to him was just a game and not actually going to result in anything. Imagine her surprise when she walked into the living room and saw a huge present, only to discover the much-wanted Doll's house that she had been asking for had been left. Words would fail me if I tried to describe the huge beaming smile that appeared along with 'Woooooooow'. Magic can happen!
- Another highlight was the moment when Anna evicted the Sylvanian family (Bear Family, Mouse Family and Labrador's) from their home and made it perfectly clear that they were no longer welcome in her Doll's house. The Doll's house had been purchased with them in mind but Anna was having none of it. She placed them on the opposite side of the room and then let them watch on helplessly as she moved Peppa Pig and her family in (Luckily, they are perfectly sized for Daddy Pig to sit in the armchair watching TV and George to sleep in the bunk beds etc). 'But where are the Sylvanian's going to sleep?' I said, pretending to sound very concerned for the Sylvanian's welfare. Anna looked at me and sighed before disappearing. She returned with the Sylvanian family Caravan and put it down next to the Sylvanian characters. 'I think the caravan might be a bit small for all 3 Sylvanian families to live in' I said, still trying to sound as though I was deeply concerned for their welfare. 'No Mummy. They can live in the caravan' said Anna in a very firm voice!
- Watching 'The Snowman' on Christmas Eve with Grandad Peter, Auntie Sally and Uncle Ben while the snow lay deep, fresh and new outside. Anna became totally absorbed in the story as she lay on her Daddy's lap in her new Christmas pyjamas that the elves had given her, especially for Christmas Eve. It was just unfortunate that the snowman melted at the end and made Anna cry. (I have never seen her that engrossed in a programme before so didn't dream that it would have that effect!
- James and I being gobsmacked when Uncle Steve and Auntie Carolyne presented their gift to Anna! A fully motorised electric moped! Rest assured, it doesn't go very fast so is perfectly safe but apparently it can go a considerable distance before running out of power. I can only imagine what our new neighbours think as they first set eyes on the new family that have moved in as Anna goes trundling along the pavement on her moped, carrying her cube in the basket behind her and waving as she drives past the pedestrians. We will certainly become quickly well-known in the village! It needs to be seen to be believed as Anna goes trundling along, flashing her lights and beeping her horn. She looks like one of those little old ladies on their mobility scooter who have rules of the road known only to them! I still continue to laugh aloud every time I see Anna riding her funky moped!
- Seeing Uncle Matthew and Auntie Ulriikka. Living so far away means it is extra special when we get to spend time with them (It is also a highlight for me as they bought me some Finnish chocolate. Finnish 'Milk Chocolate with frozen strawberry yoghurt centre' is pure heaven itself. I first tasted it when in Finland. That chocolate is almost gorgeous enough to announce that I am emigrating to Finland. I would die from eating so much of it that I would explode but I would die happy!)
- Anna's discovery of board games. Up until this Christmas, Anna has never really got the concept of board games but, after being so kindly given some from friends and family, she loves them! In fact, ever since returning home, we have had to play a board game EVERY night after dinner whilst still sat around the dinner table. We get to spend time playing games as a family and, with fear of sounding rather twee and old-fashioned, it is rather lovely! Anna is becoming shockingly good at Peter Rabbit Dominoes and her Peppa Pig memory game and can usually beat both James and I, even when I am trying really hard (James says I am far too competitive and should let Anna play her own rules but even when she plays the proper rules, Anna wins!!!)
- Visiting Uncle Steve and Auntie Carolyne in their new home as well as seeing the sheep, ducks, cows, cats and chickens. Playing with Tetley (Their 6 week old puppy) was one of Anna's biggest highlights this Christmas. Despite the playful pup trying to nip her toes and chase her every 5 seconds, Anna loved him and did not seem in the slightest bit fearful. In fact at one point, she exclaimed 'He is certainly wild.' Goodness only knows where Anna got that phrase from but it was certainly true!
- One of the biggest highlights was Anna and I watching her Grandad Flob, her Uncle Matthew, Uncle Henry and her Daddy singing karaoke. I had never seen this side of Flob before so Anna certainly hadn't! Flob is a scientist and I consider him to be quite an intellectual (I got excited when I had actually heard of one of the books that he and Matthew were discussing!) and always imagine he is very good at his job as a lead inspector of nuclear power stations (being very serious and matter of-fact). So seeing him belt out the classic 'All Night Long' by Lionel Ritchie as Henry, Matthew and James sat on the sofa behind him singing backing vocals was quite a sight to be hold. I laughed very loudly and still laugh about it when I picture it in my head! Anna was stunned. She even stopped dancing to behold this spectacle before her, as she stood there looking very puzzled as to what had come over them all! It is one of those memories I will think about if I am ever having a bad day and it will put a smile on my face regardless!
Thank you to every one of you who was so kind and generous to give Anna a gift. Every single present was a huge hit and Anna is a very lucky young lady to have so many people who love her and who she loves too!
No comments:
Post a Comment