Friday, 18 April 2008

Becoming the Norm

After another few days of coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath earlier this week, Anna was admitted into hospital again on Tuesday. This is the second time this year.

Although the medical profession is not able to diagnose Asthma for children under 3 years old, the doctor suggested that it is looking likely that Anna is developing the condition.

Yet again, I am looking for a reason as to why this might be happening. We don't have a smoke-filled house or any pets around. In fact, I won't allow anyone to hold Anna if they have been smoking within the last hour (the midwife suggested 20 minutes exclusion time but I add another 40 minutes to be on the safer side). It is true that I don't dust and polish every single day (where is the time??) but it is also true that our house is not exactly drowning in a sea of dust. I followed all the guidelines during pregnancy. I never ate anything with any trace of nuts (which has been linked to childhood asthma etc) so why has this happened to Anna? The doctors tells me that it is just unlucky and there is nothing else we could do but it doesn't really help. It also doesn't help that, as a matter of procedure because Anna has been in hospital twice this year, they will now send a respiratory specialist nurse to the house in a couple of weeks. They say that it is just a follow-up to make sure that Anna is OK. However, I also have a sneaky suspicion that it is also to check up on us, to make sure that we don't have the smoke-filled house and other environmental issues that might contribute to Anna's health. I know that it is something that they do to everyone so I am trying very hard to not take it personally (but as you would expect from me, I am taking it personally... can't they just tell from looking at me that I am doing everything to try and protect my daughter.) I am also getting some relief from the fact that Anna's little friend called Ethan, from our swimming class, has also been in hospital twice this year with exactly the same thing and, like Anna, Ethan has parents who try to do everything right.

When I kept pestering the doctor to tell me what I could do to stop this happening again, his only comment was 'I'm afraid that you may just have to get used to this uncertainty and the hospital trips' (Ethan's Mum was also told the same thing). So not the greatest news. Again, I questioned whether I should be taking Anna to all of these clubs, groups (I have now started playgroup...hooray!) and classes but everyone seems to be of the same opinion - that I should continue to take her. I think they are all right. For the first time since she started her classes, I actually got to sit on the side and observe Anna at swimming the other day (rather than be the one who holds her and tries very hard to distract her from wriggling out of my grasp and swimming to the other side of the pool!!). I knew that Anna had a constant smile on her face whilst swimming but, until I had a chance to see for myself, I hadn't realised just how excited and happy and animated she becomes whilst in the water. She doesn't stop bouncing up and down with excitement (no wonder I am exhausted by the end of our swimming class on a Friday afternoon). It is exactly the same with Anna's music classes where she doesn't stop dancing for a full 45 minutes. If I did stop her going, it would feel to Anna like she was constantly restricted indoors, like she feels when she is in hospital. Plus, there is nothing to suggest that she might not have caught these viruses (which then travel to her chest, causing the breathing problems) in town or walking to the post office so stopping the clubs would be useless anyway. I have looked into asthma reducing products such as asthma protection covers for mattresses and special hoovers that might to help in reducing asthma attacks. However, the day after we came out of hospital, I read that leading medical research has shown that they have no evidence to suggest that they actually do any good. (I am still debating whether to invest in something though... it can't do any harm!)

I think we just have to get on with our lives and continue to enjoy it. I must try to stop continuously worrying about when the next virus may strike and, if and when these blips do come along, we will deal with them, pick ourselves up and try to get on with the fun again. There is a small silver lining in that most children grow out of it by the age of 5 year old. So only 4 years to go!

2 comments:

Elsie Button said...

i am really sorry to hear this, it must be a worrying time, but also good that the doctors are on the case and know what it is. it must be very frustrating to think that you have done everything in your power to stop something like this happening. You will get through it though and Anna will be absolutely fine - and as you said, will grow out of it. she is a very very lucky little girl to have such wonderful parents!

Louise said...

Thank you so much for your comment and kind words. I hope everything is going OK with your mum and your family too. xx