Sunday, 6 January 2008

Daddy's Number 1 Fan


It would be fair to say that I went a little overboard with Anna's gifts this Christmas. However, in my defence, lots of them were books or bath toys (of which she had hardly any before). In fact, the pile would have been smaller if it was just up to me but, whilst shopping for my present, James had felt the urge to buy Anna 2 extra gifts (and he calls me 'soft'). I was even more intrigued when he wouldn't tell me what they were.

So Christmas morning arrived and most of her gifts had been a big hit. She had learnt how to gallop on her zebra, dismount him by swinging her leg over the saddle and how to get back on him... all before 9am.

The time then came to open her last present - the second gift that James had got without me (the first had been the book that Anna had fallen in love with). After opening it, I must have looked like a goldfish as my mouth opened and closed for several moments without any words actually managing to escape. Our daughter had just been given a Manchester United Football Kit. This wasn't just any kit either, it came complete with shorts, shirt and even the socks! Just to help you put this into perspective... I am the girl who vowed NEVER to go out with a Manchester United supporter. Not only did I marry one but I now have a daughter who has her own football shirt! Apparently James had been worried that one of Anna's uncles was planning on buying her a football top. Unfortunately for James, Anna's Uncle Matthew supports Manchester City (as does ALL of the Gibson's apart from James!) and Anna's Uncle Steve supports Spurs. James felt as though he needed to get in quick before her support for a rival club began.

When I told Anna's grandad (my dad), he couldn't believe it either as he joked 'WHAT!!! I don't believe it. My granddaughter can't support Manchester United. Oh... the shame of it'. Unfortunately, I fear that it is too late. I will be trying my best to make her see sense but Anna is going to want the support the same team as her dearest Daddy, especially when he went out in the bitter cold to buy the kit for her (according to James it was bitter cold. It was probably mid-summer when he got it, having devised his devious plan months ago!).

As a one-off (seeing as though it was Christmas and all), I did allow Anna to wear it for all of 5 minutes in which time, James had taken several thousand photographs of her in it, as evidence that she is now a Manchester United fan!! I don't think that James and I would want to dress Anna in a football kit normally. It isn't the greatest fashion statement in the world (it doesn't even look good on adults!) and, as the photograph proves, it is hardly the most flattering of garments even on someone as gorgeous and beautiful as Anna!!! However, for James, knowing that Anna's very own Manchester United kit is hanging in her wardrobe is enough... for now!

I have included 2 photographs with this post. The top photograph is just to prove how gorgeous Anna normally looks.

5 comments:

Elsie Button said...

ha ha that's really funny! maybe when old enough, Anna will show them all and support someone really randam like Hereford! Loved the previous posts too! Happy New Year!

Louise said...

I would LOVE it if she supported Hereford United!!!! Now that's an idea...

Thanks for takiing time to read my random thoughts and being even kinder by leaving comments. Happy New Year!

PaperDolly Lynn said...

I'm still laughing at the kit photo, I wouldn't mind but James wouldn't wear one would he?

I'm so pleased that you all had such a lovely Christmas and New Year. We really enjoyed having you around.

I'm sorry I've not left comments on your blog for ages (and I do love reading it) but I lost my password and I've only just found it.

Louise said...

Granny Lynn - Thank you for having us at Christmas! It really was lovely.
Thank you for leaving a comment as well.

Nic said...

OMG I am horrified. I think I'll have to report James for child abuse. And you let him dress your beautiful daughter in that disgusting outfit - SHAME ON YOU!

Nic

PS Happy New Year, BTW, aorry for not dropping for ages!