Thursday, 29 November 2007

Save All Your Kisses For Me

Anna has learnt to give kisses recently and it is wonderful!

If you ask Anna to give you a kiss, she will oblige more than happily by giggling and leaning in to kiss you. There are also occasions when she will volunteer a kiss when you least expect it. She will be occupied playing with her toys when, without any prompting, she will crawl over (or walk over if her trolley, walker or train is near by) and give a spontaneous gesture of affection by leaning in to give you a kiss. Of course, I then smile for the whole day and return the complement by giving Anna 5000 kisses and hugs back!

However, I cannot help but think that Anna is now using this to her advantage.

Since going to Baby Signing classes, I have been using the 'no' sign (move your hand sideways in a firm motion!) when Anna is doing something that she isn't supposed to. Being a baby, she didn't understand for a long while but, with the help of the sign and the word 'no', Anna now has a fair understanding that when Mummy or Daddy say 'No', she really should stop. Up until a few days ago, this was working really well. If Anna decided that she wanted to try grabbing everything off the coffee table, I would say 'No', do the corresponding sign, and Anna would stop. followed by lots of praise, kisses and hugs from me! This would then be followed by Anna moving towards the CD shelf to rearrange them on the floor. Yet again, I would say 'No' and she would move away.... heading straight for the book shelf. This was basically how most of my days were filled, by following Anna around the room. I realise that I could start putting all of it on top shelves but there are only so many top shelves that you can have before you run out of room!

In the past couple of weeks, Anna has not even bothered to go near the coffee table, book shelf and CD cabinet. James was even brave enough to put all his CD's in alphabetical order again!! 'Great'. we thought 'This parenting business is getting easier'. Ha Ha!

However, despite the fact that she has 3 toy boxes over-flowing with toys, the temptation to throw Cd's and books on the floor is just too much after a while so Anna has come up with a cunning plan! Anna has found my weak spot! Anna is fully aware that I love kisses from her (by the song and dance routine, kisses and hugs that she receives when she does it) so, when she wants to do something that will get a 'no' from me, she comes and gives me a kiss. As I am praising her and getting over-excited, Anna casually crawls over to the CD shelf. At this point, I spot her so go to retrieve her thinking that my angelic darling daughter won't possibly throw CD's over the floor after being so wonderful and giving me a kiss. Just as I am about to say 'No', she leans in for another kiss, smiling ever so sweetly and, as I go to kiss her, she grabs the CD's and scatters them to all 4 corners of the room.

They say a kiss makes it all better and it is so very true. I just have to keep reminding myself of that when I am picking 300 CD's off the floor (They are no longer in alphabetical order again)

No comments: